March 2024

A Message from Kate

I hope those of you that came to our February meeting enjoyed it as much as I did, Andy Spinoza was interesting and informative and covering a timescale that many of us remember.

A big thank you to everybody who contributed to our successful fundraiser, in particular to the fundraising team for their organisation of the event, especially to Trish from her sick bed, to the helpers on the day, the bakers, those who contributed raffle prizes and all those who came to support us. We raised £406.01, all for the local food bank. We used the card reader for the first time and it definitely proved it was worth having one.

I have not so far received any volunteers for the next programme team, so we will be sharing a job description so you can see exactly what it entails. Alternatively talk to one of the current team who can share their experiences of the role. The survey results showed us that you like meetings with speakers, so we do need to make sure that we have a varied programme. There will be plenty of support for volunteers. The programme is fully planned until March 2025.

Can I ask you to make certain that you are signed in when you come to meetings? As well as helping us have a record so we can see what sort of speakers you like it is also an important health and safety requirement. We are considering ways of making it easier and you may find the welcome table in a different place at the next meeting as we try and move the bottleneck that sometimes occurs in the doorway.

I am looking forward to seeing you all at March’s  meeting when Bollywood comes to the Heatons. There will be an opportunity to join in or I am sure it will be entertaining if you prefer to watch.

Best wishes


Birthday Greetings

Many happy returns to members celebrating their birthdays in March

Lindsey, Val, Ann W., Deborah, Esther, Kath G., Sue W., Sarah S., Ann L., Annette, Kate F.

Monthly Meeting

Thursday,21st March


Bollywood Comes to the Heatons-Indian dancing.

Rota Volunteers-Door- Barbara D.  Raffle-Pat G., Sue J.   Cakes-Carolyn, Angela B., Pat McG.   

Meet & Greet-Chris Benson

We would be grateful if those of you on meeting duties please arrive by 7.15pm. If you are unable to attend the meeting please contact Linda McD. so that she can send out an email to fill the slot. Thank you.

February Meeting Report-Attendance: Members-38  Zoom-0  Visitors-1  Income: Visitors:£5  Raffle:£51 Cakes:£14  Speaker book sales:£19

April Competition-None

Register and Evacuation Procedure-Please let Linda McD. know if you arrive late or leave the meeting early so that it can be recorded on the register. It means that, should we have to evacuate the building, we know who exactly is still there. In Linda’s absence please tell Sally. Our evacuation meeting point is on the field opposite the car park entrance.

Heatons WI News

The Heatons WI Programme Planning Team-This is a summary of what being in the Programme Planning Team involves. There will be close liaison with the committee at all times.

1.  The Programme Planning Team (PPT) plans and organises the speakers, demonstrators and activities at the monthly meetings, working together as a team to develop a programme that is informative, educational and entertaining as well as providing opportunities for members to socialise.

2. An ideal programme provides a balance of subjects so as to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and be a mix of stand up speakers, demonstrations, hands on activities and entertainment.

3. The committee sets a budget each year (which then has to be approved by members) but it is up to the PPT to decide how the money is spent across the year.

4. There are 12 meetings a year. Two months are predetermined-May is resolutions and November is our annual meeting, so there is no involvement by PPT. December is often a party so may not have a speaker.

5. Ideas for speakers and events come from a variety of sources: CFWI produces a handbook detailing speakers, Facebook is really useful for ideas and recommendations, members provide suggestions too.

Please contact Kate if you are interested. If you would like to speak with the current team they are Pat F, Sarah S. and Angela S.

Charity Vote- At the March meeting we will be voting for our chosen charity for the next WI year which starts in April. We have received 3 nominations and you will have a chance to hear about them at the meeting. There will then be a vote on which one we will be supporting. If you are unable to attend the meeting you can vote beforehand by sending a message by text, WhatsApp or email to Kate. These must be received by 6.00pm on Thursday 21st March. Just write the name of your chosen charity in the text or email.

The charities are:-

Henshaws Society for Blind People

The NSPCC - local area

Stockport without abuse. 

Bursaries- It’s bursary time! What have you always wanted to learn – a new craft, a new skill or to widen your knowledge? Now’s your chance. Four bursaries of £75 each will be made available for members of the Heatons WI to attend educational events or courses. A draw will be held at the April monthly meeting.

The conditions of the bursaries are as follows

1.  Applicants must have been a member of the Heatons WI for twelve months.

2. All receipts for the event or course must be submitted to the Treasurer before the money can be reimbursed. This can include travel expenses or materials up to a total value of £75.

3. If any expenses exceed the value of the award, they must be paid for by the recipient.

4. The Bursary cannot be shared.

5. The Bursary will be valid for one year after it has been awarded.

6. Members receiving a Bursary in 2024 will not be eligible for the next allocation.

7. Members will be expected to give feedback to the WI after they have attended their event/course.

If you would like to enter the draw there will be a signup sheet at this month’s meeting. Alternatively contact Karen.

Rota 2024/2025-The new rota is available for April onwards. Please add your name-if each member took on a duty we would have it almost filled. As from April the payment for baking a cake will rise to £5. This should preferably be a cake which can be cut into a minimum of 10 slices-please leave it uncut. If you do not wish to bake, a shop bought cake is also very welcome-please ensure you keep your receipt.

Cheshire Show-If you are proposing to submit an entry into the show please let Sally know the category by the March monthly meeting. If you need more details about the categories or to see a copy of the schedule please contact her.

Reminder-The bar at the Sports Club is card only.

North East Cheshire Group News

If anybody is interested in any NEC Group activities please contact Karen

Wednesday, 10th July-Trip to Llandudno. This is a provisional date. Cost of £13.50 and details to be confirmed.

Cheshire Federation News

If anybody is interested in any Cheshire Federation activities please contact Angela

CFWI Virtual WI-If anyone is interested in joining, as a dual member, or has a friend who would be interested in finding out more, please contact Angela.

Friday, 24th May-Exploring Nutrition. Dr Katie Psarou will talk about the best foods to optimise your health. Frodsham Community Centre, 7.00pm. Tickets £6.

Wednesday, June 5th-NFWI Annual Meeting. The Royal Albert Hall, London. Observer tickets are £28 and are available from Karen Monks, CFWI House, 11 White Friars, Chester, CH1 1NZ. Please enclose a SAE.

Wednesday, 17th July-Literary Lunch. Speaker Milly Johnson, described as ‘The Queen of feel good fiction’, has written 20 bestselling novels. The Wedding Marquee, Nunsmere Hall, Tarporley, 12 noon. Tickets £35, and includes a 2 course lunch with tea/coffee.

Member’s Notice Board

If you have a notice you would like to be included in the Members’ Notice Board section of the newsletter, or know of any local events other members may be interested in please send details to Linda McD.

A Message from Trish-Dear members, I know you have already been so generous in your support for the foodbank both in your regular donations and at the recent fundraising event but I wonder if any of you would be interested in donating Easter Eggs. If you are I will collect them at the meeting on the 21st March or you can drop them off at my house, on Sunday 24th March. If I am not in you can leave them in the porch. Thank you.

St Martin’s Foodbank-1st Wednesday of the month. Please drop off at Kate J’s house. There will be a box for donations on the drive if the weather is dry or in the porch if wet, from 10am until the evening. URGENTLY NEEDED ITEMS – tinned meats, tinned tomatoes, tinned coconut milk, long life orange juice, shampoo, tinned puddings, biscuits and shower gel


RNIB Stamp Collection-Shirley Shaw is collecting used postage stamps for the RNIB. She will bring boxes to WI meetings for members to put their used postage stamps in. You will need to separate UK mainland from the rest of the world, including Isle of Man, Jersey etc. Shirley will collect and send them to the RNIB, who get £20 per kilo.

B&Q is recycling plastic plant pots, small electrical items, batteries, light bulbs and fluorescent tubes

Superdrug Pharmacy at the top of Merseyway Shopping precinct is collecting empty medicine blister packs.